
Okay, not really, but aren't those out of this world, CRAZZZY??? If I had those nails, I'd have to hire an assistant to do basic things for me that otherwise just wouldn't be possible. Imagine just running your fingers through your hair...OUCH! What I'm really wondering is...how does that girl take care of herself in the bathroom??? YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! Hmmmm... BUUUUTTT, they actually would come in handy while teaching...they would serve as a good and interesting pointer for the younger kids who hate to point to the words as they are reading. But, I digress...
Anyway, as the nail technician was doing my nails, I realized that she was not putting any white on them. I kept telling her not to forget the white..and she responded in her *broken English something that I could not understand. Occasionally, she would ask me a muffled question through her mask and I would respond, "Excuse me? Can you say that again?" And when she would repeat herself, and I STILL did not #1. HEAR and #2.UNDERSTAND, I just nodded my head and said, "Yes." What could have gone wrong?
Well, my nails did not turn out how they should have and when I asked her again, "What about the white???" She replied, and I got very frustrated because there was no way I could comprehend what she was saying. The manager came over and she said they would airbrush my nails. I was okay with this, but still frustrated from the misunderstanding. I told myself I wouldn't go back there again...the whole situation made me too upset, and I don't want to jeopardize my health.
So, you know, this month, I go there again, just because it's close to me and, HEY! maybe, I'll get a different girl to do my nails. I'm such the optimist.
And so, my positive thinking helped me out. I got a different nail technician. But still, we could not understand each other. She looked blankly at me when I told her that the episode of Top Chef that was on, was really good. AND, when I complimented her on her lovely green eyeshadow, she gave me a shocked look, and then when I motioned to her eyes and SMILED, she just smiled, too. Again, I asked her 3 times for the white and finalllllly had a vague understanding of what she was going to do (It's just not a method that I'm used to.) As she was doing my nails, she asked me the same question twice, to which I responded with a blank stare, until she repeated one word: design. I quickly told her "No! But thanks, anyway!" If she didn't understand that, she certainly "got it" just by the appalled look on my face. Nevertheless, I'm happy with my manicure this time.
But next time, maybe I'll agree to that design. Maybe, just maybe, I'll come out of there with something like this:

you just never know...
*I am a very patient person, AND I know many people who speak with accents (including my parents), so I typically do not have any problem with decoding what someone with an accent is trying to convey. This time, however, I understood absolutely NOTHING.
No comments:
Post a Comment