Tuesday, August 7

Rule Breaker

It took two years for me to convince the LG that having a dog would make our lives a trillion times better. It took two minutes for the LG to fall in love with little Milo and ask me, eyes sparkling, "You want him?" And then it took 24 hours for me to realize, Shit. This tiny thing is a lot of work.

We had rules, the LG and I, about where the dog would sleep, sit, stay in the house.




"The dog is not sleeping with us," we would announce to one another before adopting the dog.

"Absolutely not," the other would agree, "And he's not allowed on the couch. He'll have two dog beds.  That's where he'll stay."

"Right, no couch either. Dog beds only."

"Right."

We were very much on the same page. Very much.

Until.

We brought little Milo home.  He curiously and slowly wandered through our downstairs, exploring the craziness that is our home, which clearly bared no resemblance to the Amish farm where he had spent his first days. The loud TV boomed crazy noises into his pointed ears, the fuzzy rug rubbed the pillows of his paws, the strange dog looked back at him from the oven: too much.

So someone decided that Milo needed to be soothed.  Someone said he needed to be held and kept safe.  Someone picked little Milo up and held him like a little baby, then plopped himself on the couch. Yes, the couch.  The forbidden couch.  In a matter of minutes of bringing home this puppy, someone had broken the rules we had set.

"Wait! But we said.." I exclaimed. (Ahem, rule follower over here!)
"But look at him. Look at how cute he is.  And he's scared." Someone was trying to be convincing. And although the convincer's words weren't so persuasive, the look on Milo's face was. We couldn't resist.

And so, even before they were implemented, our rules quickly flew out of the picture.

Milo's rules, on the other hand, are a little harder to break. :)


First we put him on the dog bed, on the couch. So, he technically wasn't on the couch, you see.

Then he ate the dog bed. 

Now I'm a little suspicious of his intentions...


We already had a couch blanket for him.  Geez. Come to think of it, I think we were setting ourselves up for failure from the start. A couch blanket.

But, alas, the couch blanket is for the humans. I have to sleep in the corner.


These pillows must be for me.



How I got here, I have no idea. But one thing's for sure: I am not jumping down from this height.





 Ahhhhhh...couch love.



Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails